CHAPTER 05 - PATOL BABU, FILM STAR

PAGE NO  55

Question 1:

With your partner answer the following questions:

What are your strengths?
Strengths   
Why do you feel so
 
     
What is your dream career?
I want to become a …..


Is there any correlation between your strengths and aspirations?

Do you think you can achieve your dreams? Give reasons


Answer :


Note: This question is to be answered on the basis of your own understanding, experience and thoughts. It is strongly recommended that you prepare the solution on your own. However, a brief idea on the solutions has been provided for your reference.
Strengths   
Why do you feel so?

Strong-willed   
I complete all work assigned to me.

passionate   
I try to do everything with perfection.

focused   
I am sure of what I want to achieve.

hardworking   
I put in a lot of effort in whatever I do.


I want to become a successful sportsman.

I feel my above strengths are necessary pre requisites for a good sportsman.

I am very determined to achieve my dreams. I take coaching in cricket and football. I keenly follow these sports. I follow a strict diet and fitness regime to keep myself physically fit.


PAGE  NO 67

Question 3-(a):

What was the news that Nishikanto Ghosh gave Patol Babu?

Answer :


Nishikanto Babu told Patol Babu that his brother-in law, who was in the film business, was looking for an actor for a film they were shooting. The character he described reminded Nishikanto Babu of Patol Babu so he gave him his address and asked him to get in touch with him.


Question 3-(b):

How did Patol Babu react? Why?

Answer :


Patol Babu was taken aback by the acting offer. He was surprised as it seemed unbelievable to him that a 52-year old nobody like him was getting a chance to act in a film.


Question 4-(a):

'I hope the part calls for some dialogue?' Who says this? Why does he /she ask this question?

Answer :


These lines are said by Patol Babu. He had been a stage actor for many years before work forced him to come to Calcutta. He was a very passionate actor; in fact he was obsessed with acting. There was a time when people would buy tickets just to see him perform.

After many years, Patol Babu was offered a role in a film. He was both surprised and happy to receive this offer. He enquired about his role so that he could rehearse for it. He was told that his role was that of a pedestrian. He wanted to know if the role had any dialogues because he was very keen to show off his acting prowess.


PAGE  NO  68

Question 5-(b):

Here are some lines from the lesson. What do they tell us about Patol Babu's character?
passionate actor  
diligent  
unassuming   
talented


genial  
mercenary  
short-tempered   
introvert

meticulous  
modest  
humble  
arrogant


Indeed, there was a time when people bought tickets especially to see him_____________

Answer :


Indeed, there was a time when people bought tickets especially to see him —talented


Question 6:

(a)   
Then he had a job in a Bengali firm which he gave up in disgust when his boss began to treat him in too high-handed a fashion  
stimulate the imagination

(b)   
A faint memory was stirred up in

Patol Babu's mind.   
to surrender or relinquish

(c)     

At first he opened a variety store which he had to wind up after five years.   
staged

(d)   
In Jatras, in amateur theatricals, to gain control over one's actions in plays put up by the club in his neighbourhood, Patol Babu was always in demand  
to gain control over one's actions

(e)   
Patol Babu was about to step forward when he was pulled up short by a voice shouting 'Silence!'  
shut down

(f)   
Patol Babu pulled himself together   
Stopped



Answer :


(a)   
Then he had a job in a Bengali firm which he gave up in disgust when his boss began to treat him in too high-handed a fashion  
to surrender or relinquish

(b)   
A faint memory was stirred up in

Patol Babu's mind.   
stimulate the imagination



(c)   
At first he opened a variety store which he had to wind up after five years.   
shut down

(d)   
In Jatras, in amateur theatricals, to gain control over one's actions in plays put up by the club in his neighbourhood, Patol Babu was always in demand  
staged

(e)   
Patol Babu was about to step forward when he was pulled up short by a voice shouting 'Silence!'  
stopped

(f)   
Patol Babu pulled himself together   
to gain control over one’s action


PAGE NO  69

Question 7:

After Patol Babu returns home he recounts his experience in front of the camera to his wife. In pairs write out the exchange in the form of a dialogue and enact it before the class. You may start like this….

Patol Babu's wife: So what happened at the shooting today? Did you get to do your role?

Patol Babu: Oh, Yes, I had the time of my life____________


Answer :


Note: This question is to be answered on the basis of your own understanding, experience and thoughts. It is strongly recommended that you prepare the solution on your own. However, one sample solution has been provided for your reference.

Patol Babu’s wife: So what happened at shooting today? Did you get to do your role?

Patol Babu: Oh, yes, I had the time of my life. Did you know that filmmaking is very different from stage production?

Patol Babu’s wife: Oh really? Who was the director of the film?

Patol Babu: Baren Mullick. He has three hits in a row!

Patol Babu’s wife: So what was your role in the film?

Patol Babu: Well….well… it was a very short role… but everybody loved my performance. Do you know there are cameras focused at every angle? You get a chance to rehearse your part. It is very different from stage.

Patol Babu’s wife: So how many lines did you get to speak?

Patol Babu: Well… I forgot to tell you my role was with the hero of the film—Chanchal Kumar.

Patol Babu’s wife: But you are not telling me anything about your role.

Patol Babu: I will…I will…but first give me something to eat. I am really hungry. I will take you to show this film when it is released. I promise. Come let’s eat something.